Monday 16 March 2015

No Poo shampoo update.

I just realised today how long ago it was that I last did an update about my no shampoo challenge. I'm still going strong and my hair is still looking super crazy some days and perfect on others!
(Go figure).


So way back in August of 2013 I wrote this post which lead me to an update here. A while later I had my hair all chopped off into a Pixie Cut and subsequently growing it out...
More recently I came across this blog - Almost Exactly where Alex-Raye shares her crunchy recipes and thoughts on a variety of crunchy projects.  I was on there a few months ago and came across this older post from October 2013, where she talks about this awesome version of a no poo shampoo called the Holy Grail Shampoo.

As a bit of background, I've been dabbling with not using shampoo in various forms since 2008, when I'd run out of money to buy shampoo and food won the money battle at the grocery store! I admin on a public group on Facebook which you can find here. I've used many techniques including but not limited to: Low poo (commercial shampoo that does not have silicones, sulfates or parabens), conditioner only (CO), water only (WO), no poo (Baking soda and vinegar; as well as the Holy Grail shampoo), acid only (where an acidic rinse is used in place of a 'wash': acidic rinses include: tea; vinegar and many others)... There is a fine line between chemophobia and trying to be clean, green and healthier in choices made.

The Holy Grail Shampoo is as follows: (Wording in Italics is directly from the Almost Exactly post, all credits to Alex-Raye from Almost Exactly.)

Ingredients:
  • bentonite clay
  • apple cider vinegar
  • raw honey
  • filtered water
  • essential oils of your choice (optional)
Directions:
  1. in a small glass cup (and using a non-metal spoon and in this exact order), mix 1 spoonful of benny clay, 1 1/2 spoonfuls of ACV, 1 1/2 spoonfuls of raw honey, and 5 spoonfuls of filtered water. it will bubble a bit from the acv, but that’s okay! it won’t burn you or harm you in any way! feel free to dilute the mix into more than 5 spoonfuls of water, too, but don’t go below 5. if you’re adding in oils, add 1/2 teaspoon and mix well.
  2. on dry hair, pour small amounts straight from the cup onto sections of  your scalp, rubbing in the mix as you go. it won’t hurt if it runs down the length of your hair.
  3. leave on for 5 minutes (do NOT let the mix dry on your scalp!! benny clay can be very drying to hair when left on longer than a few mins, but the honey will help prevent any extreme drying, as well as not letting it dry), and rinse thoroughly in the shower with cool/lukewarm water. read again: rinse thoroughly!
  4. done! seriously. if you find your hair needs some extra lovins in the conditioning dept, use some raw honey on your hair after you rinse the clay mix out. leave that on for a few minutes and rinse out well with cool water.
    Italics wording text credit to Almost Exactly blog.

    I've been using this recipe for the past 6 weeks or so and it's awesome. My hair feels nicer. It's less oily. I don't follow up with conditioning with honey instead I use the Diluted White Vinegar spray which I then rinse out. (Sometimes I leave it in.) The current ratio is 1:3 of white vinegar to water. My hair doesn't seem to like tea rinses - which leaves it feeling and looking stringy... or Diluted ACV (Apple cider vinegar) - which leaves it feeling rough.

After trying some no heat curls. Roughly brushed them out. Not such a great idea!


Selfie at the bus stop. My hair is slowly growing out from the pixie cut. Slight natural wave how it usually is.

More post-no-heat curls photos.
The top two photos show how I roughly brushed the curls out. It's not as damaged as it looks. I know the ends do need another trim soon.It's more frizz here. 


***My hair is horrible to photograph, so what you see above isn't always how it looks or feels in person! 




No comments:

Post a Comment