Monday 25 May 2015

Slow Cooker... Replacement and update

So a while ago I made the comment about my slow cooker biting the dust... It up and died on me.  The heating element blew; We could have replaced it ourselves, but we decided it was safer to throw it and buy a new one. I know, it's so wasteful, and I feel a little bad but safety first in our home!


Well in happier news Dan and I replaced it with a fancy new model. It is smaller and sleeker.
Much, much better suited to us as a couple to use!

The old one was a silver, 5 litre one; It was large and round.
I've kept the lid from the old one as it's the perfect size for our large fry pans, plus it's dishwasher safe. The new one isn't dishwasher safe (boo!) but it's easy and small enough to quickly hand wash anyway.
The new one is also prettier. It's red. We brought it from The Warehouse, they were on sale for $29 when we got it (on the 17th of May). Today they are available at the regular price (if they haven't sold out already).

On the 18th of May we made some of the 'Freezer meals' that I made a few weeks ago - yummy Pineapple Salsa Chicken. The recipe is here: which came from this (external) blog post here.
The list of recipes on that post is amazing, I've made a number of the other ones too.
(The Orange chicken recipe is a hit with us!)

I've also adjusted the recipes to change things e.g. rice to couscous as Dan doesn't like rice so much.
It's easy enough to adapt and change the recipes to suit.
We also added more of some things and less of others.

Photos below are from the 18th of May when we had Pineapple Salsa Chicken for dinner. 

I also substituted chicken drumsticks as we didn't have the other, and served it with couscous one night and bagels with it the other night. It's quite liquid as I also added another can of diced tomatoes to it before switching it on.


For some reason my phone's camera thinks the cooker is more pink, the above image is more true to colour. The one below is more pink. (It's more like the above image in person).


Yum Pineapple Salsa Chicken about half way through cooking. Only lifted the lid to take the photo. It was still going, and needed another 3-4 hours on low to continue cooking, when I took the photo. 



This weeks quote is of course food and hobbit related: 

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world"     ~ Thorin.
The Hobbit. J.R.R Tolkien.











No comments:

Post a Comment